Altered Dimensions Logo
home  what's new  categories  feedback
aliens - ufo sightings - rendlesham forest
Rendlesham Forest
  1. Introduction



Rendlesham Forest is located in Eastern England near the Royal Air Force base at Woodbridge, Suffolk.  Nearby is another RAF base - Bentwaters.  The two bases are separated by a small strip of Rendlesham Forrest.  Both bases are renowned for their unusual military activities and top secret research - mustard gas was tested near these bases during the earlier World Wars.  Top secret radar experiments (code named Cobra Mist) were conducted here too.  Both bases, known as the "twin bases" are leased to United States military.

On December 26, 1980, a Soviet satellite was schedule to crash into the atmosphere and burn up on entry.  Two days later, December 28, 1980, another Soviet military satellite was to break up upon entry.

The stage was set for controversy...

On December 26, 1980 at approximately 3:00 AM (the original report incorrectly states December 27), two United States Air Force security patrolmen noticed unusual lights outside the back gate.  Thinking that an aircraft had crashed, they requested to leave the base to investigate.  The on-duty flight chief granted permission and sent three patrolmen to investigate - Sergeant Jim Penniston, Airman Ed Cabansag, and airman John Burroughs.  The three men drove down a logging path and then bounded out of their vehicles to continue the investigation on foot.

As they approached the object the men notes that the static in the air was unusually high.  Their hair standing on end, they approached the lights in the forest and realized that an object "the size of a tank" was located within the glow.  Noting that the surface of the object looked like black glass, the men hit the ground when the object emitted a large burst of light and "in the blink of an eye" the object "was gone like a blur" towards the coast.

The men jumped in their vehicle and began pursuing another light that they quickly realized was the pulsing light from the Oxford Ness lighthouse located on the coast seven miles away.  This prompted many to suspect that the object in question was nothing more than the light from the lighthouse although all three men argue that this could not possibly be the case since the object/light they first investigated was clearly seen in the woods at close range.  They later described the object in more detail - the metallic object was triangular in shape about 6 feet tall and 15 feet wide.  It illuminated the entire forest with white light.  There was a red, pulsating light on top and rows of blue lights underneath.  It stood on three legs and hovered briefly.

The men returned to the base and reported their findings.  At 10:30 AM that next morning, military police were summoned back to the woods to investigate the physical findings the men reported.  They then found and photographed three depressions, each 1 1/2 inches deep and 7 inches across.  After viewing the physical evidence, skeptics quickly asserted that the depressions were nothing more than rabbit burrows.  This was immediately discounted by the men who noted that each of the three depressions were located in a triangular patter and were exactly 12 feet from each other.  Nature doesn't quite work on such a mathematical basis...

The area was checked for radiation and noted that readings were slightly higher than the norm.  They also took readings on trees that faced the landing area and noted that these readings were up to 5 times higher than what would normally be expected.

The investigation continued most of the day and shortly after midnight on December 28, 1980, the next sighting occurred.  Charles I. Halt continued the investigation and noted the second sighting in his report.

Later in the night a red sun-like light was seen though the trees. It moved about and pulsed. At one point it appeared to throw off glowing particles and then broke into five separate white objects and then disappeared. Immediately thereafter, three star-like objects were noticed in the sky, two objects to the north and one to the south, all of which were about 10 degrees off the horizon. The objects moved rapidly in sharp angular movements and displayed red, green and blue lights. The objects to the north appeared to be elliptical through an 8-12 power lens. They then turned to full circles. The objects to the north remained in the sky for an hour or more. The object to the south was visible for two or three hours and beamed down a stream of light from time to time.

One of the greatest pieces of UFO evidence to date, Halt recorded bits of pieces of their trek on a small tape recorder.  The total recording lasts 18 minutes and was released to the public by a United States Major who had held the recording for four years.  The recording shows us that at 1:48 AM on December 28, the second instance of strange activity began.  The recording demonstrates the servicemen's excitement:

Airman: There...look.…

Halt: You just saw a light? Where? Slow down…where? We are about 150 to 200 yards from the site. Everything else is just deathly calm. There's no doubt about it, there's some type of strange flashing red light ahead.   Weird! ... it appears to be moving a little bit this way...It's brighter than it has been. It's definitely coming this way...Pieces of it are shooting off...There's no doubt about it this is weird.

Halt: Now we've got an object about 10 degrees directly south, 10 degrees off the horizon. And the ones to the north are moving. One's moving away from us.

Airman: Moving out fast. This one on the right's heading away, too.

Halt: They're both heading north. Hey, here he comes from the south, he's coming toward us now.

Halt (In clearly stunned tones): Now we observe what appears to be a beam coming down towards the ground...this is unreal.

About 30 minutes later...

One object still hovering over Woodbridge base at about five to ten degrees off the horizon, still moving erratic and similar lights and beaming down as earlier.


The beam of light mentioned in the recording was later described in more detail by Halt.  Halt indicated that the beam of light struck the ground near the men and also hit the ground in the area of the weapons storage area on the base.  It was later discovered that this storage area, unbeknownst to anyone but some selected military personnel, contained nuclear weapons.  The light was uniform in width and made a large splash of light where it contacted the ground.  When the light disappeared it shut off very suddenly "as if controlled by a switch".

Suffolk police quickly confirmed that UFO reports from area residents poured in during the nights surrounding the incident.  Heathrow Airport in London reported strange diversions on their radars.  Some attributed these sightings to the entry of the Russian satellite mentioned earlier.

The Webb family, who were returning from a party, drove through the forest during the time of the sightings.  They reported seeing the same lights in the sky and even stopped their car to observe them.

Many reported seeing three glowing objects in the sky moving often in a triangular shape but sometimes breaking away from each other at incredible speeds.  All indicate that at the end of their sighting, the objects shot off into the sky at speeds so fast they seemed to disappear in the blink of an eye.

Skeptics pay particular attention to the lighthouse located seven miles from the base.  The light from the lighthouse did indeed confuse the men during the first sighting and some point out discrepancies in the direction the lights were seen.  Some skeptics even claim the direction the lights were seen lie directly in the path of the lighthouse (over the roof of a nearby farmhouse).  Additionally, skeptics note that often the descriptions given by the military personnel describe the lights as "star like".  They seem to indicate that the objects remained fairly stationary and only gradually, during the course of several hours, seemed to drop lower towards the horizon.  Skeptics note that this would obviously point to stars being spotted and misidentified.  They cannot explain the pulsing lights nor the beams of light though.

Researchers have since discovered that the area around the bases has been a hotbed of UFO activity for decades.  Residents have reported the surfacing of strange blisters all over their skin.  Reports of green fireballs rising from the nearby see are abundant.




(1) Sci-Fi Channel Special
Rendlesham Forest Revealed
December 11, 2003

(2) Department of Air Force Official Report
written by Charles I. Halt, Lt. Col USAF
January 13, 1981.




An object?

Note that of the three original officers, one noted seeing an actual object while the other two will only go on record as claiming to see a glowing, pulsating object.




Copyright 1998-2005, SparTech Software

Our new home is at


And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year: 'Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.' - M. Louise Haskings 1875-1957


Altered Dimensions Logo
The weird, the wild, and the unexplained.